24 Apr Missing Person Investigations: Do You Have to Wait 48 Hours?
Thanks to unrealistic portrayals of law enforcement on TV and in movies, there is a commonly held misperception that there is a period of time you must wait before initiating missing person investigations in Brooksville. That is not true.
If your loved one goes missing, it is important to alert the authorities immediately. The sooner they can begin their missing person investigations in Brooksville, the better the odds of finding your loved one. In fact, most information is gained within the first 72 hours of the investigation.
Who Qualifies as a Missing Person?
Anyone who is missing either voluntarily or involuntarily can include:
- Children were taken by their non-custodial parent
- Children abducted by a stranger
- Elderly in need of help
- Someone in need of medical attention
- Someone who is physically or mentally impaired
- Anyone without a pattern of disappearing, who is without contact for an unusual amount of time
When to Begin Missing Person Investigations in Brooksville
You know better than anyone the habits and patterns of your loved one. If something feels wrong to you, and you can’t locate your loved one when you should in Brooksville, then you absolutely must inform the authorities and let them determine if the situation warrants the initiation of missing person investigations.
Who to Contact in the Case of a Missing Person
If you suspect foul play or a child is involved, call 9-1-1 emergency services to report immediately. Additionally, for missing person investigations in Brooksville involving children, you can call the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children at 1-800-THE-LOST (1-800-843-5678).
For all other missing person investigations in Brooksville, you can call the local law enforcement’s non-emergency line or appear in-person at the police station to file a report.
You cannot file an online report to start missing person investigations in Brooksville.
What Will the Police Do?
Once you have made the report, the police will then assess the level of risk to the person who is missing. They will take into consideration factors such as:
- The person’s age
- The person’s mental state
- The circumstances surrounding the disappearance
- Whether the missing person requires medications or medical treatment
They will then proceed accordingly, based on the information you provide and may begin missing person investigations in Brooksville. Their investigations may include:
- Searching your loved one’s home and personal space for clues
- Investigating the area where they were last seen
- Contacting friends and family members for information
- Calling their cell phone and trying to contact them on social media
- Checking local hospitals for admissions
- Coordinating media coverage
- Issuing an Amber Alert as necessary
How You Can Help the Missing Persons Investigations
You can help the police in Brooksville with missing person investigations by being prepared to provide as much information as possible about the person who’s missing. Their basic description, age, weight, height, hair color, eye color, and the clothes they were last seen in. Have a recent photo if possible. The more information you can provide, the better the chances the missing person investigations in Brooksville will lead to finding your loved one. Call Keck Investigations at 727-254-1994 or contact us online.